Master OF PHYSIOTHERAPY (M.P.T)
The Masters Degree in Physiotherapy is a two year program consisting of classroom teaching, self academic activities and clinical posting.
In the first year theoretical basis of physiotherapy is refreshed along with research methodology and biostatistics in addition the students are rotated in all areas of clinical expertise during this period. Also they are required to choose their study for dissertation and submit a synopsis.
In the second year the students will be posted in their area of specialty in Masters of Physiotherapy. They are required to complete their research study and submit their dissertation. The teaching and learning methodology of the program includes seminars, journal reviews, case presentations, case discussions and classroom teaching. Also the students are encouraged to attend conference, workshop to enhance their knowledge during the course of study. University examinations are held at the end of second year.
M.P.T COURSES OFFERED:
1. Master of Physiotherapy in Musculoskeletal Disorders and Sports (MPT-MSS)
2. Master of Physiotherapy in Neurological and Psychosomatic Disorders (MPT-NPD)
3. Master of Physiotherapy in Cardio-Respiratory Disorders (MPT-CRD)
Master of Physiotherapy in Musculoskeletal Disorders and Sports (MPT-MSS):
This aims in preventive, therapeutic and rehabilitation of patients with physical impairment due to deformities and injuries of musculoskeletal structures. And the sports Physiotherapist are trained to guide the athletes with skills to prevent the occurrence of injuries, Improve the level of sports skill performance and Rehabilitate the patients for a rapid recovery to sports.
Master of Physiotherapy in Neurological and Psychosomatic Disorders (MPT-NPD)
The aim includes rehabilitation of patients with physical and functional impairment which results due to any pathologies in the nervous system.
Master of Physiotherapy in Cardio-Respiratory Disorders (MPT-CRD)
This is a component of primary health care which focus on treating cardio respiratory problems and guiding the patients to prevent the complication in respective during the pre & post operative period of cardiothoracic surgery to promote healthy life style.
The course will train the students:
- To acquire the knowledge of advanced physiotherapy management of patients with various medical and surgical conditions based on evidence.
- To acquire the knowledge of detailed assessment of the patients for diagnosis of the condition through the steps of differential diagnosis.
- To acquire the knowledge of executing research in the practice of Physiotherapy.
- To acquire the knowledge of Physiotherapy practice through the evidences based on the recent research articles.
- To acquire the knowledge of teaching skills to guide and train the students.
At the completion of the Master's Degree course in Physiotherapy the student will be able to:
- Acquire an in-depth knowledge of structure and function of human body related to the respective branch of specialty.
- Acquire an in-depth knowledge of movement dysfunction of human body, cause thereof and principles underlying the use of physiotherapeutic interventions for restoring movement dysfunction towards normalcy.
- Demonstrate ability to critically appraise recent physiotherapeutic and related medical literature from journals and adopt diagnostic and therapeutic procedures based on it.
- Demonstrate skill in physical and functional diagnosis pertaining to patient under care.
- Demonstrate ability to make clinical decisions and select appropriate measures based on the comprehensive knowledge of theoretical aspects of specialty.
- Demonstrate an expertise in evidence-based skill in the management of movement dysfunction.
- Demonstrate an expertise in health promotion and quality restoration of functional movement pertaining to specialty.
- Planning and implementation of treatment programme adequately and appropriately for all clinical conditions related to respective specialty in acute and chronic stage, in intensive care, indoor and outdoor institutional care, independent practice, on fields of sports and community and during disaster and natural calamities.
- Demonstrate proficiency in planning and executing physiotherapy services and teaching technology skills.
- Demonstrate managerial and administrative skills.
- Demonstrate the knowledge of legislation applicable to compensation for functional disability and appropriate certification.
A Candidate Seeking Admission Must:
- have passed B.Sc. (PT) or BPT degree from institutions where the mode of study is a full time program, with minimum 3½ years / 4 ½ years duration from RGUHS university or any other university in India or abroad as equivalent with not less than 50% of marks in aggregate and have completed 6 months of compulsory rotating internship in Physiotherapy Colleges recognized by RGUHS - Karnataka are eligible
- A candidate who have passed BPT through Bridge Course or through Lateral Entry after completing their Diploma in Physiotherapy from institutions where the mode of study is a full time program from this university or any other university in India or abroad as equivalent with not less than 50% of marks in aggregate and have completed 6 months of compulsory rotating internship in Physiotherapy Colleges recognized by RGUHS - Karnataka are eligible.
- Candidates who have passed BPT through correspondence or Distance Education program are not eligible.
- Candidate should obtain the eligibility certificate before the last date for admission as notified by the university.
- A candidate who has been admitted to postgraduate course should register his/her name in the University within a month of admission after paying the registration fee.
- Have working knowledge of English
- Be medically fit
- Have good personal and professional record.
A candidate seeking admission to Bachelor of Physiotherapy course should have completed 17 years of age, as on 31st December of the year of admission.
Every candidate before admission to the course shall furnish to Principal of the Institution a certificate of Medical Fitness from an authorized Government Medical Officer to the effect, that the candidate is physically fit to undergo Physiotherapy course.
Duration of the Study
The duration of the MPT Course shall be two years.
Medium of Instruction
English shall be the medium of instruction for all the subjects of study and for the examinations of the MPT Course.
The training for the Post graduate program is executed by encouraging the students to learn the patient management skills through evidences and by involving in research activities through the methodology of journal presentations, case presentation, micro teaching and seminar.